City and state officials have founded a task force with the sole purpose of protecting tenants from landlords who bully and harass them in an effort to pressure them into giving up their rent-stablized apartment to higher-paying tenants.
The Tenant Harassment Prevention Task Force will be responsible from investigating complaints from tenants that landlords are using certain techniques to force tenants out. The task force will be given the authority to take action on behalf of the tenant and possibly to pursue criminal charges.
Tenant harassment may include (but is not limited to):
- Intentional denial of services or repairs
- Yelling, issuing threats or name-calling
- Physical intimidation or violence
- Taking tenants to court again and again without good reason
- Entering an apartment in a non-emergency without notifying tenant in advance
- Conducting disruptive and potentially dangerous repairs that aren’t necessary